Saturday, February 11, 2006

A few items

We'll pick up Boersma again on Monday. A few things I wanted to highlight this weekend.

1. Went to a place called "Ollie's" last night in Scranton, PA. It's an outlet store. Some friends had told me of its great book prices. I was a little skeptical, but left with four new, quality books, leaving a fifth on the shelf, for only $16. They were:
a. Who's Who in Christianity by Lavinia Cohn-Sherbok (Routledge 1998). Looks like it has some decent articles with helpful sources listed, too.
b. Talking the Walk by Marva Dawn (Brazos, **2005**). A book about Christian speech and use of words. I think it might become a devotional book for me.
c. Hope among the Fragments by Ephraim Radner (Brazos, 2004). It's subtitled The Broken Church and Its Engagement of Scripture. Anyone familiar with Radner?
d. My absolute favourite find of the night: Everyday Apocalypse by David Dark (Brazos, 2002). It's about the prominence of apocalyptic language in pop-culture. He agrees with my reading of apocalyptic language (meaning, he has read the same people I have!-- Wright, O'Donovan, Cavanaugh, Milbank, Tolkien, Caird, etc.), so I am looking forward to this.
e. The fifth was Howard Marshall's classic, I Believe in the Historical Jesus. I would have bought it...but figured I wouldn't read it anytime soon.

2. Great posts happening at www.leithart.com (Peter Leithart). He's blogging on the intersection of capitalism and morality from a book by Richard Sennett. This was especially provocative.

3. Some may be interested in taking part in a discussion happening at Scot McKnight's www.jesuscreed.org on N.T. Wright's new book Paul in Fresh Perspective. Starts next week; two chapters a week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the little post about flexible Capitalism. I think that you should blog about it! then I will give my two cents, and it will be worth every penny.

2/12/2006 11:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Radner:

Orthodox, Episcopal. Kind of like Reno, before Reno poped.

SGFMB

2/12/2006 04:58:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

paul perry: funny guy. where's conan?

dwayne: let's hear it now! i'm open to hearing your thoughts. this "bastion of conservatism" could use some more talkers. ;) i'm not an economist, so i'm just learning this stuff...

tim: thanks. "poped": great verb.

2/12/2006 06:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home