Monday, February 27, 2006

What do you think?

Well, this past Sunday I preached on reconciliation. I told the story of Miroslav and his family sharing a common meal with a person who only came to their church to celebrate communion. I said that reconciliation was the embrace, the befriending of an enemy (perhaps once a friend, now an enemy, too). Reconciliation, however, takes two people, and may not be possible. One person may not "own" the wrong they have done, perhaps not admitting a breach in relationship and refusing to engage in repentance.

Afterwards, one woman, a married mother of one, asked about the application in the real life situation of her family. How does one love, she asked, when a former sexual offender is now brought back into her family? How does one love, she asked, when they have hosted a homeless person for meals, but she cannot shake the feeling that he intends harm to her family? That is almost verbatim her question--a profound one; one that shows the depth to which she takes seriously her faith.

Believing that God speaks in the wisdom of his people in dialogue as they seek his Spirit, I would like to hear different thoughts on the situation where hopefully God's wisdom and gospel can shine in the darkness of this penetrating question.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dancin' said...

Does reconciliation mean a restoration of TOTAL trust or is it a restortation of relationship?

I may not know the answer, but I'm sure gonna pretend I do.

I think they can have a relationship and begin to form a friendship, while exercising caution. Especially in reference to the individual's time with her child.

I guess I think there's a measure of discernment God expects us to use.

What do you think?!

2/27/2006 06:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder whether the basis for an answer (though not the answer itself) lies in your first paragraph. For the questions in the second paragraph seem to assume that the offender has not fully "owned" the offense--to use your language.

2/27/2006 08:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home