Friday, March 31, 2006

Turning Cheeks and Giving Cloaks: Preaching a Sermon one Week Early

So two weeks ago I preached on Matt. 5:38-42: Turning the other cheek, going the second mile, giving your cloak in addition to your coat. As it turns out, I preached it a week early.

This week I was given a ticket for parking on the wrong side of the street overnight. Opposite side parking is for snow removal trucks, so that they can clear 3/4 of the street because everyone has parked on the same side. Naturally, when there is no snow and has been none for 6 weeks, opposite side parking doesn't seem as important. Anyway, I guess it is because I was ticketed on March 30 at 3:30am because it is so essential for the streets to have consistent parking until opposide side parking goes out of effect--April 1.

Also this week, today in fact, I had my brand new mp3 player (well, 3 week old mp3 player) stolen from my church office. Gone. Stolen. Removed without permission. A bunch of riveting (to me) lectures and three Coldplay albums in the hands of some person from Johnson City.

Now, I considered, ala Bruce McCollough (sp?) from "Kids in the Hall," writing open letters to the Johnson City officer whose badge number is 098 and to the person who stole my mp3 player, but was reminded of God's word. So, to the officer, I turn the cheek--and have truly come to pity the person who feels the need to ticket someone in the above circumstance. And I give my cloak, too--or at least make it available, to the person who stole my mp3 player. How that happens is only grace.

Too bad I wasn't preaching that sermon this week, though. I would have some kickin' illustrations.

10 Comments:

Blogger matthew said...

Those lectures WERE riveting! Thanks for showing me which office was yours.

3/31/2006 07:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure it was Claykers that took the MP3 Player...Bernie was asleep though, so not much of a witness.

Seriously, though, it's inspiring to see you living your sermon, by God's grace...thy Kingdom come, on earth as it is in heaven.

3/31/2006 08:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case it wasn't obvious, I am the anonymous above.

John

3/31/2006 08:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, SG is writing from a basement full of water. Well it was until I spent a day with a shop vac and a rug shampooer cleaning it up.

2 houses. 2 years. 2 floods.

Can I shake my fist at the sky?

3/31/2006 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

you can shake your fist at the sky, but i think putting your hands to the shop vac and shampooers was more productive--and more Christian.

shaking one's fist at the sky usually just leaves one with a wet fist and a wet basement.

4/01/2006 01:13:00 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

i dunno 'bout that. i've shook my fist at the sky many times, and God still seems to like to keep me dry. i think He appreciates my honesty.

4/01/2006 05:07:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

quite true, jo...i meant that in reference to hte flooding, which i'm guessing came from rain and swelling river, although perhaps just swelling river in Manitoba.

GOd doesn't rain down on those who shake their fist, except to continue raining on the righteous and unrighteous...

4/02/2006 03:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My point, which perhaps was too subtle, was that you had someone with whom you could turn the other cheek. Badge 98. You had someone you could be hospitable with. Thief.

I do not. All I have is the old Calvinist's questions: "What is God teaching me by allowing this to happen? Why is God testing my faith in this way?"

And it was snow melt. Not river. That comes this week. 500 sandbags ready to go.

SGFMB

4/03/2006 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

you are dead on, paul: I think Some Guy is a disgruntled Wesleyan--which is quite close to a disgruntled Anglican--which reminds me of some Anglican from the 18th century...

Your point was definitely too subtle for me. Your question is again one reason I'm not a Calvinist. Must there always be a teaching behind the crap? No. Crap is crap is crap. Teaching behind the crap is not God's goal, but his resourcefulness in action.

Seems to me that that question is another form of hideous introspection.

4/03/2006 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

let me make that clearer: seems to me that asking, "What teaching is there for me? Why is my faith being tested?" is simply introspection through the back door.

4/03/2006 11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home