Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Fear, Love, and the Law

I have been thinking about Proverbs and talking with my friend T.T. Branscombe. Solomon starts the provers by saying that the proverbs are to give knowledge to the young (1:4), apparently to help them be wise and lead fruitful lives. He then starts with the proverb "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge."

I have been thinking about this. One friend asked me if I thought it possible that this meant that fear is an appropriate starting point for a relationship with God. It seemed possible. If fear is the beginning of knowledge and knowledge is given to the young for fruitful lives, then this form of fear cannot be paralyzing. It must be freedom inducing fear. That is a unique fear. If fear is the beginning of knowledge--driving me into the freedom of knowing, then fear cannot be the end. And John says that perfect love drives out fear.

Let me put this together: If where there is all love there is no fear, then as one moves into the freedom of knowledge one moves away from fear. Moreover if one is moving away from fear, then one is moving into love--as St Augustine said, "To know is to love." If the fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, then love of the LORD is the purpose of knowledge and end of fear. The thing the started my path of knowledge which leads me into love of God is now destroyed and removed. In this way fear is akin to the law: That which marked covenant between God and humanity was powerless to accomplish what God intended. Clinging to it became a death sentence, then. Fear of God, which started knowledge, is powerless to achieve love. In fact, it is defeated by love. Growth in the love of God moves one beyond the beginning of knowledge and away from the fear that started the whole thing.

8 Comments:

Blogger matthew said...

I have been pondering these same thoughts for the past couple of months off and on.

I think some of the problems we experience in the contemporary church stem from the fact that many people don't start with fear. They try to experience love from the get-go.

Fear is certainly not a bad thing. It is a necessary starting point. If we think of that necessary fear geographically, it remains where and what it is...but we move onto love from its foundation.

9/14/2006 12:35:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

i am not sure that starting with fear is necessary--depending on how you define fear. the fear of punishment highlighted by Ray Comfort in "Hell's Best Kept Secret" is not necessary, i think. but it is certainly a lack of holy-fear that leads to Jesus is my boyfriend music.

9/14/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger matthew said...

Not so much fear of punishment as recognition of God's authority, but there probably not always all-together different.

9/14/2006 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

i can agree with that.

fear of punishment tends to bring paralysis, which fear that begins knowledge would not.

9/14/2006 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger matthew said...

I guess the struggle in my mind is that I know many of whom I would consider the most solid Christians in our church were saved out of fear of punishment. I wasn't, but they were. I guess that's why I'm somewhat reluctant to speak against that motivation.

9/14/2006 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger theajthomas said...

Brilliant - "More than Forgivness" by Steve DeNeff speaks well but opposed to the whole idea of starting with fear.

9/14/2006 02:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey AP, this i believe is my first time ever posting on your blog...and one of the first times ever posting...i may have once or twice before...memory is a little off....anyway...in thinking about this some more.....sometimes we fear what we don't know....and when we push through that fear with God with find love as you said....but i'm wondering to if this works with all the characteristics or qualities of God...there are ways in which we all don't know God and we can fear that until we push through and know Him....i wonder if this is an on going thing....maybe?

9/15/2006 01:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Twas grace that caused my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved"

AMEN to your post.

John

9/16/2006 08:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home