Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Is this what government is supposed to do?

It's a little strange to see an effective and visionary government in Canada--at least for me. I'm not that old and I haven't always been so critical, so I'm sure there are other examples, but let me say: I like Stephen Harper. I haven't always agreed with him, but I can still like him.

Here's one more reason why: Senatorial reform. In a gov't where the Governor General appoints senators, under the recommendation of the Prime Minister, the senate can be filled with partisan players (e.g., Michel Fortier, who Harper appointed so he could put him in the Cabinet, although he will likely resign and run in the next federal election). As it stands now, the Liberals have about 65 people in the 105 seat senate. While the senate doesn't introduce legislation all that often, they make recommendations, form committees, sit on committees and influence parliament. Appointed senators sit until they are 75, effectively giving the gov't in power extra presence, without the consent of the people. Stephen Harper wants to change this--the article spells it out.

If you don't have time to read the article, just let me leave you with one quote:

"I have warning for the Liberals. A democratically elected and genuinely accountable Senate may not serve the Liberal party, but it will serve the Canadian people, and their interests come first to the Conservative party."
~Stephen Harper

1 Comments:

Blogger matthew said...

when i took some 'what politician are you' kinda quiz, it told me i was most like Stephen Harper (Tony Blair was 2nd)

His idea sounds fair and good to me

12/13/2006 02:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home