Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Evangelism and Culture

Here is a great article by Frederica Matthewes-Green. She is one of the most diverse Christian writers and speakers. The basic premise of her article is that Christians are not called to change culture, but to minister to those within it. Whether or not you agree, the following is a great quote:

"It's as if the world's ballpark is ringed with billboards, and [the church] rankles because we should have a billboard too. But if someone should actually see our billboard, and be intrigued, and walk in the door of a church, he would find that he had joined a community that was just creating another billboard."

Yes. This is the problem with doing church that reflects culture. Frankly, the church cannot be as good at what the professionals do--at least all the time. We can only be and celebrate our brokenness because in that brokenness we see the grace and transforming power of God. I have found it oddly comforting that whatever happens in my life, I know that the church will be worshiping on Sunday.

6 Comments:

Blogger theajthomas said...

When I think of cultural relavance I think more of Paul at Mars Hill changing his approach to explaining the gospel because he was in a different culture than some sort of entertainment factor. I think the problem with our discussions about culture is that we veiw it in to shallow a sense (basically the arts) and we worry more about emulating it than understanding it and communicating effectivly with people in it.
To buld on her metaphore relevance is not putting up our own billboard it's figuring out how to use baseball to expalin Jesus and getting our buts into the staduim and communicating that to the fans.

On an unrelated note I'm audititng a course with Craig Evans, I don't know if you have heard of him but I think you would enjoy Him.

9/18/2007 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

The thing we forget about changing culture is that real change happens one life at a time.

9/18/2007 04:11:00 PM  
Blogger theajthomas said...

I think it's bass ackwards to think about changing culture. That should be an irrelevant side effect of what we do if it happens. Like Whitey said, you change people (or more accuratly you let God use you as a part of him changing them but you get the idea) but I don't think culture change should be a goal because going about it culture first is almost always me centered. Let's change a culture that supports gay marriage because I'm uncomfortable with it (but could probably care less about people who are homosexual) vs let's help people find new life in Jesus regardless of what their issues are because he loves them and so do we.

9/18/2007 05:26:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

Hey AJ: Yes, I am familiar with Evans, but I haven't read him. I know his "Fabricating Jesus" has been well received, but I haven't read it. Maybe I'll take a look, now.

And I agree with Whitey that change is one life at a time. And then perhaps a family. For the record, my own confrontation with the Liberal government of Canada regarding homosexuality had only some to do with homosexuality and more to do with the arrogance of the Liberal gov't and its duplicity.

9/19/2007 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger theajthomas said...

I wasn't citing anyone in particular and I don't think it's wrong for us to engage in the political process as citizens of a democracy my issue comes when we see this sort of action as a main goal of the church or as part of carrying out the great comission.

9/19/2007 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

Hey AJ,

I didn't take your comment as citing me or as reflective of a deeper opinion of political engagement. I was tossing that out there for the ones (literally) who read this blog; I should have been clearer.

9/19/2007 10:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home