Friday, March 20, 2009

Otto Scharmer's U Theory of Change

Otto Scharmer's Theory U proposes that the deepest level of change surrounds purpose. One can create change by reacting to challenges with solutions. This is the most superficial level of change. One takes change incrementally to more significant levels by greater focus (creating new structures and practices), broader perceptions (new core activities and processes), and deeper exploration of assumptions (new thinking and principles).

Here's an example: My wife has legitimate concern and frustration with my aloof and unintentional rudeness. My initial reaction to solve the problem is apology. I then realize the issue is a little more than me being slightly boorish and so restructure my apology, communicating its sincerity. However, perhaps I still haven't really listened to my wife. I now offer my apology with something beyond the words. A new practice (e.g., flowers) helps to communicate different modes of apologizing. However, this still hasn't become a conversation--where I not only listen, but talk, as well. We enter each other's worlds and see the situation from new perspectives. We reframe the story. This is getting pretty deep, especially since this example is fairly superficial. (My wife is actually quite gracious!) Finally, the biggest change I can make is not to enter her world, but for us to create a new world together. What's the purpose of apologizing? What's the relationship we're after? Once this happens, all the responses to change (apology, flowers, listening) naturally flow from this re-generated relational purpose. My reactions to problems are now grounded in the deepest form of change.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Erskine said...

AP, I love you. This is a delightful post! I suspect that you aren't like me, that you do not have these conversations with your wife. If you did, you may hear, as I do, "Do not analyze me," or, my personal favorite, "You are not in class right now." Yes, entering our wives' worlds is definitely the right road to deep change. (That wasn't about Scharmer or his theory.......)

3/23/2009 10:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home