Thursday, April 06, 2006

Tories, Ironies, Islam, and Writing for Yourself

Well, I am going to jam a few things into one post here. I am taking a break from what were non-inspirational atonement thoughts and going for something more subtle.

First, a subdued but sincere kudos to Stephen Harper. A rocky start with a senatorial appointment, back-dooring a non-elected person into cabinet (popular in Montreal, from what I read) and enticing a Liberal MP into Tory cabinet has been followed up with strong leadership: being in Afghanistan; refusing to be the media's toy; refusing to let the Liberals think they still run the country. He is still wrong in the above mentioned cabinet appointments, however.

Second, I am realizing the irony of all my more...uh...naturalistic friends who give links for books they like to amazon.com. The irony? Because these friends usually support more person based businesses (refusing to shop at Walmart)...and amazon.com is...uh...(to quote Ben Witherington) not so much. Yet my man Oliver O'Donovan (who some, in spite the tireless work of those who read him to show the error of this way, consider a neo-con) reminds us that clicking a few buttons and having people run to have a book delivered to your doorstep is quasi-slavery. Hmmmm....

Third, an issue that continues to shove itself in my face is the war on terror. I've been reluctant to blog about it (even though this is a "bastion of conservatism"--actually, I think Tim R. made a mistake: it's actually a "bastion of conversatism") because it's such a hot topic, but I'll put a bit here. I find myself holding what some consider to be mutually exclusive opinions:

1. George W. Bush is not the devil, though he may be under the influence of some overly arrogant people.

2. Neo-conservative writers usually reek of more arrogance than the former Liberal gov't of Canada.

3. Radical Islam is more widespread than admitted and is about the ugliest display of human personhood that is currently seen.

4. The goal of a superpower to remake political landscape may prove to be a disastrous idea--even, and perhaps especially, if it succeeds. But, by God's grace, it may not prove to be so disastrous. And I mean that by God's grace part.

Lastly, too many people are writing books. There are only a few books worth reading and they are usually by the same few people. Too many people are writing and too few are reading. I realize the irony of this statement (in that I am perpetuating the problem by writing something no one reads), but refuse to accept the criticism. This blog is for me; it is an exercise in spiritual discipline.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Harper: Politics is the art of the possible. People who maintain all their principles w/o ever compromising for the sake of the greater good join the NDP, well at least the NDP before smilin Jack. Such folks have the comfort of always being able to criticise and never having to give an account for being wrong.

On O'Donovan: he is not a neo-con. His little book on Just War makes it obvious. Even reading only the last chapter thereof should make it plain. To your acquaintances who think he is, I ask: "What has he written that leads you to think otherwise?"

Third, what neo-cons do you have in mind when you say they are guilty of arrogance? Are there any that are not guilty? Frum, Hewitt are confident, e.g., but I would never have called them arrogant. Frum has been especially critical of W lately.

Fourth, on point 4., you sound like Pat Buchanan. Kudos to you!

Fifth, do you mean to imply that you will not read my forthcoming books even though you can be assured of a comp? I was sorta hoping you'd plug them here.

SGFMB

4/06/2006 03:40:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

Politics is the art of the possible, but all that is possible is not worth doing.

I find just about all writers arrogant. I have had Frum in mind in the past, but I haven't been reading him lately. Is he critical of W's softer stance on immigration or of the UAE ports deal or both? I should perhaps qualify the neo-con charge...not of the arrogance, but of the neo-cons. Some that I find arrogant may not consider themselves neo-cons and it is unfair for me to label them as such. I should also say that it depends on the issue, but I have in mind some of David Warren, Peter Worthington, parts of Steyn (but his humour makes up for it). I like Andrew Coyne, though.

Success in military might is only by God holding back hte waves that blow on the sea of changing empires. My fear is not that it will fail, but that over confidence will come if it succeeds. I do hope and pray for its success...and humility for those who lead the way.

I have already read quite a bit of both these forthcoming books (even leveling a stunning critique against one conclusion in one of them that hte author simply does not acknowledge)...and will purchase and enjoy them in print form, as well. I am not against book writing in general; just book writing for the sake of book writing. Any local Christian bookstore will reveal lots of enticing books--the vast minority of them turn out to be worth reading. I say, "Read the people these men and women feel the need to comment on."

4/06/2006 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

i think my bigger beef is with the news journalists: tucker carlson, that guy from hardball, that guy from Fox News who "never loses an argument"...

4/07/2006 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger JHW said...

I read your blog

4/11/2006 03:37:00 PM  
Blogger JHW said...

AP,

Did you watch the movie Kingdom of Heaven? What did you think regarding:
-its critique of Christianity?
-its view of world religions?

Regarding the former, I think it emphasized the imporance of love and watching out for the down and out. Regarding the latter, it seemed to embrace contemporary pluralism. We need to let everyone live, but we don't need to embrace all beliefs as coequal.

If you did not watch it...well then I guess you will have a hard time answering my question.

4/11/2006 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

did not watch...sorry joe!

4/12/2006 10:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home