Saturday, July 29, 2006

One Statement; Two Shortcomings

The statement: "Love all; trust few." ~William Shakespeare

Shortcoming #1: The Bible leaves it out. It should be a proverb. (Does anyone know where something similar is a proverb?)

Shortcoming #2: The statement finishes, "Do wrong to none." Shorter is better. It captures the existentialist feeling better. It connotes accurately the negativity and yet necessity of loving the unloveable, but the hope that one need not trust them.

I know what some (and by 'some,' I mean Paul, possibly Kirk (though he's at Zion Hill), and perhaps Mark Brewer--though I don't think he reads this) are now thinking about me critiquing William Shakespeare. Let me put it in comedic sketch form:

Chris Farley: "Dad, I can't see too good. Is that Bill Shakespeare over there?"
Phil Hartman: "Actually, Matt, we've encouraged [can't remember name, but character played by David Spade] in his writing."
Chris Farley: "Dad, I'd appreciate it if you'd just shut your big yapper!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

hmmm. who's cantankerous now? cynic. :)

7/29/2006 11:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home