Monday, October 23, 2006

Phys Ed, "The Prestige," and Evangelism

Sometimes using a word in a new context can completely rejuvenate it. It happened for me when I heard that Jewish historian, Josephus, while a military commander, told a rebel to "Repent and follow me." It happened again this morning when I heard about a phys ed program called "Spark." "Spark" stands for Sports, Play, and Active Recreation for Kids. Basically, it finds ways to involve more kids in smaller groups in more engaging activities. Good stuff. One of the program directors was talking about Spark's ability to engage families in more physical activity because the kids are talking about it. He said, "The kids have become the evangelists."

I started thinking about how I'm an evangelist in all kinds of ways. I talk about my friends; I talk about my family; I talk about my successes. Consider a more subtle example. On Friday, I saw "The Prestige." It is an excellent movie: Great acting (Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, and Christian Bale), great story, great plot, lots of mystery, no cheese. I have been telling people about this movie since then. "It's a great movie!" I have become an evangelist of "The Prestige," just as the kids have become evangelists for Spark. This leads me to thinking that being an evangelist isn't the hard part. We're evangelists all the time. The hard part is being an evangelist of God's Kingdom in creative, appropriate, and culturally meaningful ways.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nathan Crawford said...

ap,

I like the post.

i was wondering though if you might email at nmcrawford@gmail.com. I was wondering if you had a bunk buddy for the WTS. It looks like Trish and I are moving from Chicago, and so I'm looking for someone to room with.

10/26/2006 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Christin said...

Great insight. On more than one occasion, I've walked away from your blog going, "I've never thought of it that way."

10/26/2006 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

thanks, christin. i really appreciate it.

nate: my email's on the way.

10/26/2006 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger Erskine said...

Very, very good, AP. This is true, thought-provoking, and convicting. (The last part goes to the Holy Spirit.) Perhaps that's why drawing nearer to the Lord has resulted in more evangelism like this lately. When I'm not paying attention, I talk about God as if He's the most impressive thing in my life. Good thing.

10/27/2006 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kirk said...

You have been officially challenged by Kirk and Tim. See my blog for details.

10/27/2006 10:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AP,

I like the post. It seems to me that the key to evangelism being "creative, appropriate, and culturally meaningful" is for it to be "natural". We are to evangelize in ways that fit who God has made us to be and that is going to look somewhat different in each case.

For Evangelism to be creative, appropriate and culturally meaningful we must consider the person we hope to reach and speak and act in ways that they can receive, even when it seem unnatural to us.

Those are some rough ideas and as I write them I realize they seem, in some ways, a paradox and my inclination is to clean them up and make them congruant. I'll resist that urge.

Evangelism is both natuaral and unnatural.

John

10/30/2006 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

john, i like the tension. leave it.

11/01/2006 03:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home