Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Christmas is Over

Christmas is over. I had a great Christmas, except for a car accident. But God protected my girlfriend Heather and me. As my Uncle Bill said, "Cars can be replaced. Neither of you can." Of course, I am not sure any one would want to replace me. ;) (Many people would want Heather back.)

I had some very thoughtful gifts this Christmas. Those are always the best. Some of my favourites are:

1. A leather journal from Heather with photos and write-ups that tells the story of our relationship thus far;

2. Harry Potter Scene It from the Morgans (although Paul ruined the game by winning every stinking round!! Don't play HP Scene It with him, unless you want to lose!);

3. Three books: Blue Like Jazz from Heather's sister; and Harry Potter & Philosophy and Narnia & Philosophy, both from Tim and Rachel. I am well into two of them.

4. Two beautiful pictures from my Mom. One has a photo of my Dad and his two brothers when they were kids.

5. Elton John DVD from Paul. (Actually, a DVD of the latest musical Paul was in. I hear Paul touches a woman's butt in this production. This is a precious, precious gift.)

I celebrated New Year's at First Night in Binghamton. It was quite a bit of fun, except I had to be up early to preach and work on a sermon on Sunday morning, so I was quite tired by the time midnight rolled around. But my New Year started quite, quite well.

Happy New Year to the ones (literally....I don't think I can stretch into the tens yet) who read this!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two quick points:

(1) I can kick Paul's a** in anything HP. I look forward to the opportunity. In fact, I challenge him here and now to a no holds barred, loser leave town, I Quit match any place (as long as it's in my basement), any time (as long as it's in 2007 and after the kids are in bed). Bang Bang!!

(2) I have now read Heim. Here is my conclusion: Heim is not into Girard as much as he is into C. S. Lewis. Girard merely provides a means of saying theoretically what LWW says narrativally (and better). And I think Heim would agree.

And a question:

What did mom think of your gift to her? (which was extremely cool, but may tick off the tens of pacifists who read this list, so I dare you to tell them ;)).

Crusty

1/02/2007 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger matthew said...

happy new year aaron. glad you had a good christmas.

1/02/2007 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

Hey Crusty: Insightful thought on Heim and Girard/Lewis. I think Heim is quite into Girard, especially as Girard has formed his read of Psalms, Job, and the sacrificial system. I don't think one would need to take all of Girard's meta-narrative, though, to appreciate how his thought can influence Christian theology.

Heim is influenced by Lewis, though, for sure. (I was thinking about Aslan's wounds to Aravis. Aslan wounds Aravis in a very teachable way: She now knows what she made another endure.) I think on the cross, we see two things: God now knows what the scapegoat has endured; humanity now sees what they have done to the scapegoat. I don't know whether this fits well into an objective/subjective framework of atonement thought, though. I don't think God changes in this idea, but neither does the individual just see things differently. There is a change of social relations. Jerry Walls did a lecture on C.S. Lewis and the atonement in which he said that the cross enables us to repent. This is a form of Abelard's moral influence theory, which is exactly what Boersma says Girard's theory boils down to. I am not that convinced, though, that Heim's thought can be summed up with moral influence, though it definitely has that element.

Mom liked the gift, I think. I think Dad liked it more. Not sure. The gift was the framed and matted enlistment papers of my grandfather into WWI.

1/02/2007 01:49:00 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Happy New Year, AP! Glad to hear you had a great holiday with Heather! Tell her the Brewers say hello! (oh, and uh, i guess we say hi to you too...) :)

1/02/2007 03:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

ah, yes, getting into car accidents is so much more likely if you are with the person you are dating...I know from past experience. nonetheless, Happy New Year! Count me among the readers. and, i'm jealous: you get MUCH better gifts at Christmastime than i do ("gospel aerobics" anyone? going once, going twice...).

1/02/2007 07:20:00 PM  
Blogger Christin said...

What someone gets for Christmas is fascinating because it's very telling. Not only about the person who gets them, but the person who GIVES them!

- Jo, "gospel aerobics"?!?! No way! That is sooooo rad. Which songs does it have?;-)

1/03/2007 03:31:00 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

harsh Christin! harsh. ;) I haven't the slightest clue, as I promptly put the video in my "to charity" box.

1/04/2007 04:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home