Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Disregarding or Discarding Religion?

This morning I watched part of Morning Joe, hosted by Joe Scarborough on MSNBC. I usually like it, although it gets a little irritating at times. But this morning just showed how thoughtless some public commentators are becoming. They interviewed Mitt Romney after which Joe says something to the effect, "I cannot wait for a day in this country when a person's religious views are not questioned." Now, he meant it as a defense of religion, but when his coworkers went on to talk about religion in the same category as race and gender, I knew it was bad. A person's race and gender really is inconsequential to many important questions of how they govern, but if a person's religion is inconsequential, as well, then religion really has been relegated to the realm of spiritual or personal and just doesn't matter that much. Brilliant, brilliant analysis and commentary considering the biggest issue in the world right now is deeply concerned with religion.

5 Comments:

Blogger matthew said...

This election is going to be a doozy. I get a kick out of how Huckabee won't release his sermons and retracted his statement about mormon theology teaching that Jesus and Lucifer were spirit brothers, even though that much is obviously taught in the pearl of great price and re-confirmed in the writings of brigham young. Who cares if it's the truth of original mormon theology? If it's not politically correct, it's not the truth.

vote ron paul

12/13/2007 04:41:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

i can't vote (period, but if i could i would not vote) ron paul because i think he'd be a lousy President. i don't think he would command any attention. huckabee's comment about Jesus not running for public office was enough to make me immediately critical of his theology. just what category does King fall into if not public office?

if i could vote, i'd vote joe biden in a second. i disagree with the 4 year old education, but other than that i think he's pretty much right.

12/13/2007 05:43:00 PM  
Blogger matthew said...

Yeah, I know you can't vote. That was just a drive by endorsement. I don't know what kind of President Ron Paul would be. I agree with him more than any other candidate, but almost everyone IN government disagrees with him, so how would he get anything done?

I think Huckabee would be horrible

I really don't know enough about Biden to say, though I'm assuming he's not pro=life and that is my number 1 issue since it kills the most people. In my county, abortion kills more people each year than heart problems, making it the #1 cause of death.

12/14/2007 01:39:00 AM  
Blogger Kirk said...

Does it really matter since obviously the U.S. is going to vote in a Democrat this time. So Hillory or Obama will be the next president. sad but true. Oh and Aaron thanks for the picture holding thingy. You two are soooooooooooo cute.

12/15/2007 01:42:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

I am not sure it matters because the media simply gives Biden no attention. But we'll see how the caucuses go. I am not sure that the US will elect a Democrat, though. I am confident they will not elect Clinton, though I am not as against her as so many others are.

12/15/2007 02:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home