Friday, October 03, 2008

The Vice Presidential Debate

Just a few bullet pointed thoughts:
  • Governor Palin wanted to be an everyday person and, bless her heart, she tried super-duper hard 'cause she's just not like those Washington types.
  • Senator Biden is a professional politician. This has both strengths (he knows a lot about "the issues") and weaknesses (he makes ordinary people feel that they don't).
  • Senator Biden has learned both to make and to communicate a distinction between questioning one's motives and questioning one's judgment. Governor Palin, by improperly harping on Obama's voting against funding the troops--a bill McCain also voted against, has either not learned to communicate with this distinction in mind, or has not learned the distinction.
  • Governor Palin is much smarter and formidable than the MSM has believed. I cannot imagine her President in the foreseeable future.
  • The Republicans should not use Iraq as a divisive issue. Whatever Barack Obama believes about reducing "combat troops" (a carefully chosen term, btw), Joe Biden, with his concept of timelines, does not sound like a "white-flag of surrender."
  • The candidates both came across as Americans first. Christians should feel tension toward them both, as a result.

6 Comments:

Blogger matthew said...

Given the recent momentum in the polls toward Obama, I'd have to say Palin was the 'winner' (so to speak) since she showed herself to be competent. Taken individually, Biden, of course, was more at home in the debate. I found it to be a non-event for the most part. It didn't convince me, at all, to regain some faith in either of those parties.

10/03/2008 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Nathan Crawford said...

AP,

Love your last point and I think it is the most poignant. Also, I found it odd (not right or wrong, just odd) that Palin did not answer some questions and that Biden or the moderator did not seem to make her. This seemed to throw Biden off a little at the beginning of the debate.

10/03/2008 04:51:00 PM  
Blogger Dancin' said...

I was watching the Canadian debate, but did catch part of the VP debate. I have to admit I was not terribly impressed with how Palin presented herself. When she used phrase such as "God bless her heart" or "gosh darn it". I wasn't sure what to think. This was the question I found myself trying to answer: "Is she really that corny or is she just trying to hard"?

I admit a persons corny phraseology does not disqualify or qualify them. I also have to admit if I were an American I would pray to God that, if the Republicans are elected that nothing happens to McCain and that Palin gers some new PR people.

10/03/2008 09:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic final point.

10/03/2008 09:56:00 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I second what Brewer said.

10/06/2008 01:31:00 PM  
Blogger matthew said...

Where is your commentary on the Canadian elections? :)

10/15/2008 12:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home