Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thoughts on the Lost Premiere

Well, it was entertaining. I started watching the show in the summer as a simple wind-down. I fell asleep during the first episode, but found it pretty engaging after that. As a result, I was looking forward to last night's premiere. After last night's episode, one has to say that the show has lost its coherence. I know it's a TV show and so I'm more than willing to cut it slack, especially when it keeps drawing me back. However, its fans have got to move beyond thinking it is deep and amazed at its ability to confuse and confound us with the hope that it will resolve tightly. Take, for example, the writers finally making explicit last night one of the secrets of the island: it messes with time. When Farraday said that time was like a stream that you can go back and forth in but that you cannot change, but we quickly saw Locke shot by Ethan and Locke kill several Dharma Initiative people in the past thereby undoing Farraday's philosophy of time. Anyway, a fun season premiere and I have my Wednesdays booked for the next few months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home