Monday, November 24, 2008

Priesthood of All Believers?

A couple asked if I would perform their marriage. I have never met them and I doubt I will get a shot to meet them, certainly not to get to know them in any kind of significant way. I typed out an email explaining some of my concerns in performing their marriage, offering a reflection from my own wedding. You see, I did not know what I was doing when I said, "I do." [Can anyone who hasn't been married know what life-long fidelity (in the most robust sense for all three of those words) means until they've lived an entire life full faith to one person?] But when this concerns me a little bit (and it has only concerned me in small increments thus far) I am able to think of those who stood with me--brothers, all--who either knew me, knew marriage, or both better than me and still supported the decision Heather and I were making. Beyond these brothers, I thought of Daryl, my pastor, and his act of seeing us into marriage and presenting us married. His addition is not encouragement and support, like that of my brothers, but of confidence in God and his grace. You see, none of my friends know what life-long fidelity is like either. But Daryl stood in for Jesus, who does know life-long faithfulness--to his Father and his Father's world--and Daryl affirmed for Jesus that his Spirit is available to us, enabling Heather and me to live out a faithful marriage for life, however imperfectly it reflects the Triune God's commitment to his creation. Daryl could not have done this for us without knowing me; more importantly, Daryl could not have done this for us without knowing Jesus. I wouldn't want just anyone standing in for Jesus. Perhaps I am seeing just a little bit of what my brother Tim is seeing more clearly regarding the sacrament power of the priesthood, even as I see just a little bit of the hardship his family is facing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Aaron. This is the first time I've read your blog and I'll have to make a point of doing so more often (time, of course, being the hindering factor!). Your wedding was beautiful in many ways,and I think a large part of what I sensed there was what you've just written about - thanks for putting words to my abstract thoughts.

11/29/2008 10:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home