Thursday, May 28, 2009

Political Ads

The Conservative Party of Canada has launched a series of ads questioning Michael Ignatieff's commitment to Canada. They finish with the phrase: Michael Ignatieff: Just Visiting. Here's one.



Michael Ignatieff responds by saying they are questioning the patriotism, the Canadian-ness of other Canadians who live abroad. He says the Conservatives think these Canadians are less Canadian.



Some would think I'd identify with Ignatieff because I am one of those Canadians who lives abroad. I am one of those Canadians who lives in the US and follows its state of affairs. But I don't. Here's why: It's legitimate to question one's commitment to a country when one is running for its highest office. Michael Ignatieff has missed the fact that no other Canadians who have lived abroad for over thirty years have their eye on being Prime Minister. He's the only one. And he's the one to say he'd move back had he lost in an earlier election. So, Dr Ignatieff, please don't lump me into your category. At least, not until I'm running for Prime Minister.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous rob mcd said...

As a fellow person that has lived "abroad" I like your thoughts on this. I think that it is still just an attack add by the conservatives but at the same time something to take into consideration

6/03/2009 09:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home