Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Preacher and Prayer through Eva's Eyes

I grew up in the Standard Church, a holiness movement denomination that later merged with The Wesleyan Church. The Standard Church always ordained women. Even before it was hip. Eva Alexander was one of its ordained women, known as being a high quality preacher. I only knew Eva later in her life. She lived with out family in her latest years as she declined in body and mind. Yet even then she maintained a spirit of generosity and humour. On a recent trip back to Shawville I found a copy of "Preacher and Prayer" by E.M. Bounds that Eva had owned and read. I thought it would be valuable to read through this book, taking special notice of her own markings through the text. Here's the first installment.

Bounds talks about the person of the preacher. The person is what matters. The person is who God uses. The sermon flows from the person. The person is made in prayer. Eva has noted this idea well throughout. She notes Bounds' words that God is not looking for better methods, but better people. They are the machinery of the Holy Spirit! She also notes that true preachers don't make sermons; they make people and saints. And only saints make saints. And yet this is not the work of the person, but the work of God: Prayer is the preacher's greatest weapon.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger JHW said...

This is a great reminder.I think the dichotomy between prayer and preparation is false.

5/07/2009 04:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Lynn Erskine said...

This is great food for thought, AP and Eva! That we are the machinery of the Holy Spirit particularly resonates with me. I'm about to lead a huge transition in our worship arts ministry, and I have no idea what I'm doing. However, I know it is God at work. I know the Holy Spirit is leading. As you reminded me today, I am God's machinery. Thanks for the image!

5/13/2009 08:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home