Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Radical Orthodoxy and "Lord of the Rings"

I've been reading a little bit of Radical Orthodoxy lately. Let me say first that I think I like it; second, I don't understand it. (Third, I think it's detrimental to study a linguistically driven theology when you are a pastor in a Wesleyan Church. Longer story required, I know...)

I like RO because it sounds cool. It is intriguing. It takes Christianity seriously. Theology is the Queen of the Sciences for RO. I don't understand RO because it is neo-Platonic and exceptionally abstract. It feels foreign.

It reminds me of Lord of the Rings. The first time I read LOTR I didn't finish it. How could you finish such a book when you're 10 years old? The second time I read it, I liked it. It had a new world. It felt different. It confronted my boring world of television. But I still didn't understand it.

I think that quality of not-understanding is important for both RO and LOTR. Not-understanding is the first step to taking something as fresh. RO does not simply want to warm-over the faith; it seeks an all out confrontation between the world and Christian theology. Since I live both in the world and in a Christian theology the fight of RO is happening around me. The casualties are evidenced by my simultaneous not-understanding but liking.

I think if I could describe RO in two words they would be: Intentional Obscurity. Sounds like some prophets I have read about...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read a lot of Radical Orthodoxy, but it's all the rage on emergentchurch.com

Thats your favorite website right? ;)

(tongue-in-cheek)

(like the use of a smiley [winky] face)

Tim

1/26/2006 02:07:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

tim--that reminds me of something i've been thinking about and will likely blog about some time. is the emergent church an intellectual movement? if they like RO, then i think it is.

1/26/2006 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

glad to hear that you "see" something positive in RO and the emergents.

1/26/2006 04:03:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

i always have. who do you like in the RO, jo? (see my post on drury and barna)

1/27/2006 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home