Saturday, May 13, 2006

Policritics?

A blog was recently started to encourage Belinda Stronach to run for the leadership of the Liberal Party. I submitted two comments to the post which did not bash Belinda Stronach. They went something like this:

"As a conservative who supported the Conservative Party in the last election, who is enjoying the fresh air of efficient gov't compared to the dithering stale odour of the last two years, and who is looking forward to years of such gov't, I can only say that I, too, hope Belinda runs for Liberal party leadership."

The blog, however, has moderated all comments and has rejected this comment twice, apparently including it with the group of "Belinda-bashing jerks" in the following quote:

"A few people have complained about my moderating comments, but I'm sorry, I'm not obligated to make this site a forum for Belinda-bashing jerks." I leave it to you to say whether or not my statement is "Belinda-bashing."

What makes this quote all the better is its self-righteousness in the next statement: "It's really sad that some people have nothing better to do that [sic] tear others down."

And then, to top it off, the self-defeating, self-betraying statement which follows immediately: "But then, that's conservatives for you!" Well done, blogger!

Now, that all would have been funny, except that the blogger approved the following comment:

"Belinda is articulate, intelligent, multilingual young women. She has experience in business and politics and a resume the envy of anyone. If anyone can defeat Harper and his politics of meanness, and arrogance and to ensure that we don't leave the innocent and less fortunate behind, it's a multi-billionaire."

Now, I think this is satire (and rather intelligent at that)--the last sentence giving it away. (Apparently, my satire was just too obvious.) However, if it's serious, then let's all, I beg you, savour the phrase "politics of meanness." (Politics of meanness! I don't like the PM. He's ...corrupt? ...inefficient? ...a poor leader? ...mean! That's it!)

And if it's not satire, then I suggest the good blogger consider a wider censorship.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

BOO!

5/14/2006 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Dancin' said...

You're blog title is rather witty, however I think something a little less veiled. I torn between two other options I'd like to suggest as the title of your blog. Either "Poli- Prick" (suggesting the moderator is political parrot) or "The Politic Prick".
Ok, to be honest I just want you to call the moderator a Prick.

5/14/2006 07:49:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

to engage in criticism is not to insult. so....no dice, dave.

5/15/2006 09:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home