Wednesday, January 10, 2007

An Aha! Moment about Atheism and Photos of my Car

It hit me yesterday that and why atheism is a purely Modern notion. Hume destroys all confidence in epistemology--we can't know anything. Kant comes into the wreckage and salvages a little bit of knowledge--we have categories of knowledge that can be filled with our perceptions of the phenomenal world. Beyond this world--what we can experience, sense, etc.--is the noumenal. This is the world of the spiritual. We cannot know the spiritual...we can just know that it's there. Kant is famous for the moral argument for God's existence because morality is the best sense that we know something exists beyond the world of the phenomenal. Now since the phenomenal can be tested, sensed, experimented with, etc. we have science becomes the standard for knowledge. There is no such thing as revelation and certainly no such thing as knowledge of God.

This is the breeding ground for atheism: I cannot know God (and anyway the god I do know I don't like). If I cannot know God he does not exist--at least in any meaningful sense. Atheism needs Modernity to give it space to make sense.

And now, for those who have endured, are two photos of my car.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa...didn't know you had an accident too...what a new year eh

1/10/2007 09:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched a video tour of the ruins of a Greek temple (the temple of Athena at Didyma) last week. The guide pointed out a public fountain in the temple foundation and made the point that in the Greek world, even something as basic as a drink of water was received from the gods.
I think that relates to the modern prevalence of atheism in that we no longer ask God to meet our basic needs (food, healing, etc.). There is a perception that "science" meets our needs. Of course, I believe that the Lord still deserves thanks as the One Who enabled men and women to invent refrigerators, for example, but since His involvement is less direct than answering a farmer's prayers for rain, we are apt to miss it.
"Give us this day our daily bread, O Lord."

1/10/2007 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger theajthomas said...

I was going to say some stuff but then I had an idea for a post for my own blog so I'll just say thanks for the idea.

1/11/2007 11:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home