Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Can we say God is love?

I'm reading Barth's "Dogmatics in Outline." Barth says that he cannot say that "God is love," even though this is biblical. He says he cannot say God is love, because he does not know what love is and we must learn what love is from God.

I think there is a dogmatic humility in this thought: It is humble, because it does not presume to know what love is and the self is placed in a position of learning afresh from God. But it is a dogmatic place, as well, because it assumes that God is and will not waver from here or speak of love outside of God's tutelage in Jesus Christ.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Hi...I just moved to Rochester about a month and a half ago with my daughter. It's a long story, but Aaron and I are not together anymore. We just moved to California to a new church. After a week and a half of living their Aaron told me that he had been having an affair and doesn't plan on ending it. So I'm living with my parents. My dad is the new (6 months) pastor at the Penfield Wesleyan Church. My mom just said that she thinks that she remebers you from this past year's ordination. Good for you! So that is why I'm here. I'm doing very well. The Lord has been walking with me daily and gives me his daily peace.
Good to hear from you!

1/16/2008 07:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home