Monday, May 22, 2006

A few items

First, they say confession is good for the soul, so I'm going to confess to having watched Desperate Housewives for the last four weeks. Last night's episode was so ridiculous (and boring), though, that I found myself doing a Soduku puzzle instead. Never again will I watch it. (Not to mention a stern rebuke from Liz B.). Any other TV shows people have unfortunately watched?

Second, does the information revolution and the internet favour a Marxian or Hegelian view of history and its progession? I thought Hegelian because of its propulsion of ideas so quickly and easily, but now I think one can take a Marxian view, as well, because it puts the information power out of the hands of the Izzies, Turners, Blacks, etc. and into, well, mine--and yours. And we are not likely very wealthy. (Except for my brother Paul. He's the richest person I know. Well, next to Richard B. who also works at Nortel--which is why they are rich.)

Third, if this is what you have to complain about, then let me say, "Keep up the good work all you opposition MPs! Thanks for doing us no good! Way to keep the governing party in line by condemning the vehicle they ride in." (Interestingly, the fellow referenced as the spokesperson for Harper in the article, Dimitri Soudas, is a colleague of my Dad.)

Fourth, while I find the Sun chain a little less thoughtful, these are two valuable editorials. This is on the poor decorum of the Liberals in not showing up to hear the Prime Minister of Australia. This is on the recent breakdown surrounding the Public Appointments Commission.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, AP,

I think the internet favors Hegel. "Rich," of course, is always a relative term. Though you may not be a millionaire, you are much wealthier than most folks in the world. Some people, actually many and comparatively speaking, cannot even afford the internet. Many don't even have electricity. Think of Africa, and Latin America. Ergo, I tend to think Hegel is the more likely canidate here. However, most folks don't have the intellectual capability to find a synthesis required for Hegelian history. Perhaps this is a good thing...?

5/22/2006 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Benson said...

There is no shame in being a Desperate Housewives viewer. I am coming out of the closet! I am a Desperate Housewives viewer. I rarely miss an episode! I think the writers are actually quite good and I think it is a better depiction of reality than we would like to think. The only thing that is not realistic is the people's reaction to the plot. The issues represented in this show are far more damaging to human dignity than the writers/viewers would like to admit. In some ways, I find it a funny show...the characters are pretty witty... However, in most ways, I find it sad... Sad because it's true...

Cheers!

5/22/2006 09:17:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

AP- You'd be surprised at how many times I've heard the following "KRISTI, HURRY, IT"S COMING ONNNNNNNNNNN"

It always brings a smile to my face.

(I've also heard -only once-"....but DHW is on....")
Ahhhhh....love....

5/22/2006 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

i'm glad you've declared "never again on the desperate housewives" ap. ewh.

oh you bensons, i thought you knew better! the housewives should be banned from television. so should alias, lost (<--plegerized form of "lord of the flies"), american/canadian idol, grey's anatomy, house, csi, crossing jordan, and every reality tv show. i urge you to use your powers of discrimination. frankly, the only quality shows on tv these days are the west wing (now over forever! sob) and the gilmore girls. maybe without a trace as well. and, in my not so humble opinion, that is all. :)

5/22/2006 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger matthew said...

i used to watch DH, but i found the storyline was becoming way too slow.

5/23/2006 06:45:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

imagine that DHW gets this attention!

maybe i shouldn't watch it because all the SUVs remind me of GWB. ;) (check the links for the appropriate connection.)

5/23/2006 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Benson said...

Yeah...I think GWB must really love those desperate housewives!

5/23/2006 10:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home