Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hamburger Theology

Here is an article about a $100 burger. Yes, a hamburger that costs $100. It is sold at a restaurant at a Country Club that costs $40,000 to join and $3,600 a year to stay. After reading the article, I needed to vent right away. Unfortunately for him, my brother Paul is usually the first bearer of such venting. He appropriately reminded me that it's just a burger; and one that costs $100 is the fruit of free society.

I wanted to point out the anti-Christian gospel this country club has: Membership to this society has not been paid; has not been given or offered; it costs $40,000. This country club (and most I've seen) breeds exclusion. I wanted to remind this club that the death and resurrection of Jesus has abolished all walls--I wanted to point them to Ephesians!

But my brother Paul's reminder was the appropriate one, because he said that this burger is it's own punishment. What a perfect illustration of sin and its consequences: Sin in the form of exclusion costs the ones who consider themselves the "in crowd" much more than those who are on the outside. Only to those who engage in such obvious financial exclusion does a $100 burger make sense. I'll let the reader decide whether the cross or the beef holds the real foolishness.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AP, if you can afford the gas or a plane ticket, I'll give you hamburgers for nothing. And bottled water too.

Betcha PM Harper has never paid $100 for a burger. Betcha Joe Volpe has paid over 1000 for pizza. I love Joe Volpe.

SGFMB

6/22/2006 04:29:00 PM  
Blogger matthew said...

I don't see the problem. Didn't you read the end???

"The restaurant will donate $10 from each sale to the Make-A-Wish Foundation."

6/22/2006 05:25:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I think the line in the article that says they call it "the most decadent burger in the world" pretty much sums it up. I would add "... for the most decadent people in the world."

6/22/2006 07:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, I thought this was leading to a rant about Animal Rights!

6/22/2006 09:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/22/2006 09:56:00 PM  
Blogger theajthomas said...

Animals have rights!!! For example the right to remaine silent as I eat them. I would love to eat that burger but not for $100. I one paied $28 bucks for a large order of fries. It was so glorious. Interesting tidbit about Steven Harper. He has Eminem on his Ipod. I'm not sure which is more shocking - the eminem or the Ipod.

6/23/2006 08:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me again.

A scene from the Big Kahuna unfolds as follows:

ManA: Why do you read that garbage?
ManB: (reading Penthouse) I suppose you are one of those fundamentalists who thinks these magazines shouldn't be sold.
ManA: No. I am one of those Christian fundamentalists who thinks those magazines shouldn't be bought.

Go and learn.

SGFMB

6/23/2006 09:56:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

great picture, some guy.

aj: hadn't heard that about harper! funny. where'd you read it?

matt: while i think you're joking, the deal isn't totally with the burger. it's more with country clubs, with the burger being a perfect illustration of sin--and the Make-A-Wish Foundation tops it off: no one needs to think about the sinful nature of explicitly creating financially exclusive communities--which end up costing $100 a burger--so long as $10 from said burgers are being given to those excluded. it's a perfect mirror of medieval indulgences: rather than money being taken from the poor by spiritual abuse, money is being given to the poor to make less obvious abuse palatable.

6/23/2006 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger theajthomas said...

One of my youth leader's friends works in the PMO and he was looking through Steve's Ipod and sawan eminem song, I beleive it was "Loose Yourself"

6/23/2006 05:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loose yourself??? SOunds a little to pimp for the Pizzle Manizzle. Perhaps you mean Lose Yourself.

SG

6/23/2006 07:37:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

i find it ironic that in a comment that seeks to correct someone for using too many o's, there is a word that has too few! :)

aj: that's hilarious. i once did a survey at bbc of people who liked eminem. those who said they did are no longer in ministry. just joking...the survey was real, though.

6/24/2006 08:40:00 AM  
Blogger matthew said...

haha, yes I was joking

6/27/2006 01:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home